top of page


for International Students in Canada


Many international students upon graduation want to stay temporary to work in Canada. If you recently graduated from a designated learning institution in Canada, you too may be eligible to apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP).

Validity of post-graduate work permit depends on the length of your study program. If your program was two years or more you may receive a post-graduate work permit for up to three years. If your study program was more than eight months but less than two years your post graduate work permit may be valid for up to the same length as your studies (for example, if you studied for nine months,you may be issued a work permit for 9 months.)

Eligibility​ Requirements

What you need to qualify for a Post-Graduation Work Permit

  • be 18 or older at the time of application

  • have continuously studied full-time in Canada in a study program at least eight months long

  • have a document from your school (transcript, official letter, certificate, etc.) that confirms you completed and passed all your program requirements

  • have graduated from a:

  • public post-secondary school, such as a college, trade/technical school or university, or CEGEP in Quebec or

  • private post-secondary school that operates under the same rules as public schools (currently applies only to certain private post-secondary institutions in Quebec) or

  • private secondary or post-secondary school (in Quebec) that offers qualifying programs of 900 hours or longer, leading to a diplôme d’études professionnelles (DEP) or an attestation de spécialisation professionnelle (ASP) or

  • Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law (for example, Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate degree) but only if you are enrolled in a study programs leading to a degree as authorized by the province

  • apply for a work permit within 90 days of when it was confirmed that you completed your program and

  • have a valid study permit when you apply for the work permit.



You aren’t eligible to apply for a PGWP if you:

  • studied in a program that was less than eight months long

  • studied for more than eight months but not continuously (for example, you took a semester off)

  • took part in a Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship Program funded by Global Affairs Canada (GAC)

  • took part in a Government of Canada Awards Program funded by GAC

  • had funding from GAC

  • took part in the Equal Opportunity Scholarship, Canada-Chile

  • took part in the Canada-China Scholars Exchange Program

  • took part in the Organization of American States Fellowships Program

  • completed a study program by distance learning either from abroad or from within Canada or

  • already had a post-graduation work permit following any other program of study

  • took distance learning programs or

  • have previously been issued a PGWP

If you want further information about the Post Graduation Work Permit or require our assistance in preparation and submission of your application please fill out the form provided below. 

Thanks! Message sent.

bottom of page