top of page


Program requirements

The Canadian Experience Class requirements are based on a pass or fail model. If the minimum requirements are met, the applicant is eligible to enter the Express Entry pool. If you wish to apply under the Canadian Experience Class you must meet the following minimum requirements: 

  • Have at least one year of skilled, professional or technical work experience in Canada in the last three years at the time of your application submission

  • Your work must have been full-time or an equal amount in part time

  • Your work experience gained in Canada with the proper authorization

  • Meet or surpass a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) of 5 ("initial intermediate") or 7 ("adequate intermediate proficiency"), depending on the level of the job

  • Plan to live and work outside of the province of Quebec (individuals with work experience in Quebec and who plan to reside in Quebec may apply to the Quebec Experience Class).


You can remain in Canada throughout the application process. However, the Canadian Experience Class is also open to individuals who are no longer in Canada, provided that they submit their application within three years of leaving their job in Canada.

Note: Self-employment and work experience gained while you were a full-time student (for example, on a co-op work term) does not count under this program.​ The province of Quebec does not use Express Entry. They select their own skilled workers. See Quebec-selected skilled workers to find out more.

Skilled work experience

You must have Canadian skilled work experience within three years of applying. According to the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC), skilled work experience means:

  • Managerial jobs (NOC skill level 0)

  • Professional jobs (NOC skill type A)

  • Technical jobs and skilled trades (NOC skill type B)


Your experience must be at least

  • 12 months of full-time work

    • 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours), OR

  • equal amount in part-time hours, such as:

    • 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)

    • 30 hours/week for 12 months at more than one job = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)

You must show that you did the duties set out in the occupational description in the NOC. This includes all the main duties listed.

If you don’t show that your experience meets the description in the NOC, we will not accept your application.



There is no education requirement for Canadian Experience Class. But you can earn points for your education under Express Entry, if:

  • you went to school in Canada, and have a certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian:

    • secondary (high school) or

    • post-secondary school

  • you have foreign education, and you have an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report from an approved agency showing that your foreign education is equal to a completed certificate, diploma or degree  from a Canadian:

    • secondary (high school) or

    • post-secondary school

You'll only benefit from getting an ECA if your foreign education is equal to a completed Canadian high school diploma or greater

Language ability

You must meet the minimum language level of:

    • Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 for NOC 0 or A jobs OR

    • Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 5 for NOC B jobs

  • take a language test approved by us that shows you meet the level for:

    • writing

    • reading

    • listening

    • speaking

You must show that you meet the requirements in English or French by including the test results when you complete your Express Entry profile. Your test results must not be more than two years old on the day you apply for permanent residence or you will need to retake the test.

Other requirements

You must be admissible to Canada and plan to live outside the province of Quebec.

Option for International Students

Canadian Experience Class program is the fastest and most popular option for international students who are planning to apply for permanent residence in Canada. Upon completion of a program or course of study at a Canadian educational institution, many international graduates are able to remain in Canada on Post-Graduate Work Permit. If, during this time, a graduate obtains at least one year of work in a skilled, professional or technical field, they may then become eligible to enter the Express Entry pool under the Canadian Experience Class.

If you want to know more information about the Canadian Experience Class or require qualified legal assistance in preparation and submission of your application please fill out the form provided below. 


Thanks! Message sent. We'll contact you in the next 24 hours.

bottom of page