top of page
spouse, common-law or conjugal partner 
You are a Spouse- if you and your sponsor are legally married inside or outside Canada and your have a marriage certificate. 
If you and your spouse are same-sex couple and you you were married in Canada and issued a marriage certificate by a Canadian province/territory or if you were married outside Canada, as long as your marriage is legally recognized according to both the law of the place where your marriage occurred and under Canadian law.
You are a Common-Law Partner - if either of the opposite sex or the same sex—if you have been living together in a conjugal relationship for at least one year in an ongoing 12-month period (you are allowed short absences for business travel or family reasons).
Your are a Conjugal Partner -this category is for partners—either of the opposite sex or same sex—in situations beyond their control that keep them from living together so they would count as common-law partners or spouses.

You may apply as a conjugal partner if you have had a conjugal relationship with your sponsor for at least one year and you could not live together or marry because of an immigration barrier, your marital status (for example, you are married to someone else and living in a country where divorce is not possible) or your sexual orientation (for example, you are in a same-sex relationship and same-sex marriage is not permitted where you live) and you can prove there was a reason you could not live together (for example, you were refused long-term stays in each other’s country). 
If you fall under this class click eligibility button to find out if you are eligible to sponsor your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner.
Dependent, Adopted Children and Other Relatives
A son or daughter is dependent when the child is under age 19 and does not have a spouse or common-law partner, or is 19 years of age or older and has depended largely on the financial support of a parent since before age 19 because of a physical or mental condition.


bottom of page